Why does SPAN exist?
Founded by Tesla’s former head of energy, SPAN was founded because this is our Decade to Decarbonize.
About 40% of greenhouse gas emissions are controlled by things we do in our households, decisions we make as individuals. Most of us feel powerless about confronting climate change, but the things in our basements, garages, and on our roofs directly influence the largest single slice of the problem (source).
The answer is to electrify everything, which we do by:
Assisting the electric grid: The North American electric grid is the ‘world’s largest machine’. It is old, it is expensive to maintain and it was designed to transport power in one direction. And as we electrify everything, it is not equipped to handle an increase in volume of transport.
Upgrading our gas appliances and gasoline cars to electric. All the electricity in the world will still not power our gas dryers, furnaces, water heaters, stoves and cars. Electric versions of these appliances exist and they are safer, cheaper, cleaner, smaller and quieter.
Making more electricity at home. This increases the amount of clean electricity in circulation and does it without stressing the electric grid.
What is SPAN doing?
We envision a future where our homes are
Self-reliant: They make their own energy and decide when to use that energy. They warn you of outages, prepare themselves, and adapt energy use to endure even the most severe outages.
All-electric: Our homes cannot be self-reliant until they are all-electric. SPAN removes constraints that exist with your existing power service, allowing households to upgrade their gasoline cars and gas appliances to their electric superiors.
Looking out for us: They tell you if something bad has happened, is happening or will happen to your most-expensive appliances
A model citizen of the grid: They assist the grid at times of need, with little inconvenience to you.
None of this is possible without a modern-day electric panel. So we started by completely reinventing this hundred year-old appliance.
If you want to learn more, watch (span.io/decadetodecarbonize) or read (span.io/plan) about the progress we have made, the products and services we have announced for next year and how our partners are supporting us on our mission.
Why you should consider this role
SPAN is designing features and experiences that simply cannot exist without a smart electric panel. The concepts we deal with are unintuitive (energy, power, electricity) and idiosyncratic (homes and households). Additionally, our customers and partners cannot fully express what they want because they don’t know what is possible. This means that you will have an opportunity to be opinionated, to hone your craft and to do truly pioneering work while delivering serious climate impact.
As Interaction Designer, you will
- Support SPAN’s ambitious roadmap that involves native mobile and progressive web experiences.
- Work closely with customers, partners, internal stakeholders and our product and engineering teams to bring simplicity and consistency to the SPAN user experience.
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly to validate product directions.
- Connect the dots across product areas to create a cohesive and scalable design system and experience.
- Write. You understand that copywriting is design. Great visuals with weak words is poor design. You care about how things are phrased as much as you care about how they look.
Most of our projects are Design-led, so you will have a lot of influence and impact right away.
Who we are looking for
- An excellent consumer-grade portfolio that demonstrates
- A visual sensibility that aligns with SPAN’s ethos
- An obsession with UI integrity. You care about the smallest details
- A champion of great UX with an ability to use technology and design to achieve it
- A believer in design systems as a way for efficiency and consistency
- Someone who is up-to-date with the latest design trends, techniques, and technologies
- Concise and clear presentation skills - visual, verbal and written
- Front-end development experience a huge plus
- Experience with hardware a huge plus
Explore a simulated SPAN home (span.io/iphone, span.io/android) and watch the app video (span.io/video) to get a better sense of what we’re about.
Working at SPAN
We are a small, diverse team of creative and mission-driven thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation and early equity at a well-funded, fast-growing, venture-backed company (read more on why Amazon and others invested in Span here and here)
- A sunny 20,000 sqft hardware lab + office space in SOMA, a stone’s throw from Caltrain and close to BART
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- Additional Span holidays in celebration of causes we believe in (this year so far we provided days off in celebration of Black History in Feb, Women’s History in March, Earth Day in April, and Gay Pride & Juneteenth in June)
- Comprehensive benefits include a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- Diversity - we are serious about this. Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.