Job ref.: SDM. Working hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30 to 18.00
Start date: Immediate
Love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and The BFG? How about some of Dahl’s darker tales for adults? So do we!
At The Roald Dahl Story Company we have big ambitions to turn the world’s favourite stories into the best films, tv, content, innovative publishing in the market – and with a set of partners ranging from Netflix and Disney to Penguin Random House and The Royal Shakespeare Company - we’re well on the way. Far from a traditional literary estate – the company is a collection of creative, brand building and commercial brains from a range of backgrounds aiming to deliver the best, and most innovative Roald Dahl inspired products and experiences to the market.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Roald Dahl team, in a role where you will straddle two important facets – primarily as an expert Senior-level Graphic Designer and secondarily as an experienced Design Manager.
We are looking for an exceptional, multi-disciplinary designer, who relishes taking on a wide range of high-level briefs across a number of exciting consumer-reaching projects. You will be a motivating and experienced creative thought-starter, both with and without brief and to the former, be able to interpret briefs and inspire strong creative ideas in response (this should be demonstrable in your portfolio). Previous experience in creating world-class branded content is a must, with experience working with character artwork a bonus.
Additionally, you will need to have experience in team management – as you will also be responsible for managing the Design team (currently of two - at Mid-weight and Senior level) output, schedules, projects and priorities. You will have proven success in co-ordinating design projects and related processes at expert level from start to finish, whilst confidently communicating with upward business management and key external stakeholders – translating business needs into design output.
The design management facet of the role is a maternity cover, you will be temporarily leading the management of the design team in the absence of our Creative Director. However, for the right candidate there may be an opportunity for a permanent design role following our Creative Director’s return at the end of the fixed-term contract, subject to the needs of the business at that time.
As Senior Design Manager, you will report into the Brand Director. Your key responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Inspire and execute strong creative ideas - either self initiated or from a brief
- Lead production of imaginative and innovative print and digital assets for a variety of Roald Dahl departments, including (but not limited to) licensed merchandise, marketing, brand partnerships, publishing, social media and more, using a number of stylistic approaches
- Developing branded design concepts, graphics and assets
- Creating high-quality graphic design and layout work across multiple disciplines, managing projects from conception to delivery
- Brand guideline creation and maintenance
- Style guide creation and development
- Gif and digital specific asset creation
- Asset management
- Create highly innovative product concepts and mockups
- Packaging and POS creation
- Create high-spec Keynote/ InDesign presentations
- Reference research
- The creation of a variety of brand assets including:
o social assets
o brand partnership assets
o character artwork support
o character environment support
o marketing calendars
o colour palettes
o book covers
o typography and logo work
o brand presentations
- Support of all Roald Dahl character artwork facets including 2D and 3D
- Ensuring high quality design standards are met within the Design team and supporting skill development
- Keeping up to date with design industry developments and tools to help inform your work
- Day to day management of the design team providing structure and organisation to the teams output
- Leading on the delegation of work based on skillset of the team, in collaboration with the Senior Graphic Designer
- Building the Design team schedule based on priorities of the business
- Receiving briefs from Senior Management and internal departments and dissecting accordingly (alongside the Senior Graphic Designer) in order to prioritise and deliver on time
- Leading communication with key stakeholders (both internal and external facing) for important and high level projects including presentation of work where needed
- Organising additional design resource as needed on a project by project basis
- Analysis of budget implications of a project
- Supporting and encouraging art direction of work within the design team
- Self-direction of key projects without reliance on Brand Director (but checking in and escalating questions upwards as needed)
- Analysis of design output and how it should be split across team in times of quiet briefing times
- Co-ordination and management of external facing design agencies such as those creating new character art/ environments, typeface and new brand assets, working to tight deadlines and directing accordingly
- Business liaising (correlating with a strong understanding of the Roald Dahl business) with Senior Management and articulating requirements confidently to the Design team
- Supporting the Brand Director in the creation of a brand new Roald Dahl TV animated art style and consequential style guide creation
- Build and communicate design strategy in collaboration with the Brand Director and Senior Graphic Designer
- Multi-tasking to create a seamless design service to the business and it’s multiple departments
- Ensuring a high design quality is upheld at all times across the Design team (including your own work)
- Managing workload across the team and ensuring positive collaboration
- Line management of Senior Graphic Designer position (note, this will be a largely collaborative relationship)
- Support the Senior Graphic Designer’s management of the Graphic Designer and Illustrator position accordingly
In addition to the above, such other duties and responsibilities as we may notify you of from time to time.
Key skills and experience:
- 6+ years’ experience working as a multiple disciplinary designer with branded content. This should be demonstrable in your portfolio
- 2+ years’ experience in a design management role (or equivalent)
- Have expert knowledge and experience in using the Adobe Creative Suite — InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator are essential, After Effects is a bonus
- Have high-level, expert knowledge and experience in using Keynote
- Be well-organised and able to multi-task
- Be an excellent communicator (verbal and written), able to both articulate art direction requests and provide art direction as needed
- Be comfortable working within brand guidelines, but have the skillset and confidence to think creatively and expand the guidelines. This should be demonstrable in your portfolio
- Be an extremely confident and capable designer with excellent attention to detail, and a great eye for style and presentation, demonstrable in your portfolio
- Be able to lead and execute design projects, from concept to delivery
- Be able to work with minimal support
- Be able to mentor, inspire and nurture talents
- Be comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- A dedicated follower of design culture and press
- Passionate in identifying and producing a consistent stream of fresh, creative solutions, with an excellent ability to verbally communicate ideas
- Be a strategic thinker
- Know the importance of sticking to briefing deadlines, and able to manage their own time
- Be able to lease projects expectations and timings both with internal and external clients
- Be able to translate data and complex information into infographics
- Have a strong interest in brand licensing and management
- Be well-versed in asset management and the importance of branding considerations
- Have strong typographic skills. This should be demonstrable in your portfolio
Why join us?
We really care for our team – from four instructor led weekly exercise classes (yoga and HIIT twice a week) to rolling out working from home days and flexi-time to further encourage a positive work/life balance for all. We’ve also put a lot of thought into creating the perfect office environment and culture for everyone to enjoy, including a kitchen stocked with an assortment of refreshments, and an on-site shower complete with towels and toiletries.
The Senior Design Manager will also benefit from our workplace pension scheme, 28 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holidays and company social events.
The Roald Dahl Story Company is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.