One of our largest groups within EBI, Ensembl is seeking a manager for our collection of outreach activities.
Ensembl Outreach is responsible for training and supporting our users from experimental laboratory scientists to bioinformaticians, and is part of the Genomics Technology Infrastructure team, supporting several resources including Ensembl, Ensembl Genomes and the International Genome Sample Resource (IGSR).
The Outreach Manager will lead four Outreach Officers, who are involved in teaching, training and helping Ensembl users, responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering training workshops on our browser, tools and APIs, and using these in NGS analysis. At present, this is online based, using webinars and interactive messaging systems, but we anticipate a return to face-to-face training, requiring extensive worldwide travel, once the current climate permits it.
- Creating and maintaining documentation and e-learning materials.
- Direct support of user queries via email and RT (Request Tracker) including website, data, API and advanced tool support.
- Disseminating key developments via social media.
- Direct interaction with our development teams to fix bugs identified by users and find solutions to user problems.
- Supporting usability testing and web design.
- Coordination of training workshop delivery, liaising with international hosts and course collaborators to set up both standalone courses and Ensembl segments of longer courses. This involves maintenance of a calendar of events for a group of people.
- Recruiting and training of new outreach officers.
- Managing projects and activities to ensure completion of deliverables.
- Monitoring and recording activities, including numbers and types of events, and reporting on these through contributions to grant applications, publications and meetings.
- Assisting in the application of relevant grants and coordinating the writing of relevant publications.
- Working with other managers to steer overall Ensembl strategy, providing a user perspective to discussions of future plans.
- Working with the EMBL-EBI Training Team to plan training strategy for the EBI.
You might also have....
Experience in managing people or projects would be highly advantageous. Technical bioinformatics skills would be very helpful, especially if the candidate has also taught them. Useful skills include:
- Working with large scale NGS analysis, such as clinical genomics analysis, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq or similar.
- Using UNIX/Linux.
- Scripting in Python, Perl or R, particularly to access public databases.
- Working with relational databases.
Any experience in teaching, training, public outreach, online help, customer service or planning events, in or out of science, will be considered in your application. Please let us know of any relevant experience you have.
Our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
Visa sponsorship information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.