Phase2 is a digital product agency passionate about customer experience, grounded in data and insights, and rooted in 20 years of successful technology delivery. We make digital products that inspire, engage, and create impact. For the most influential companies in the world, Phase2 is a proven partner, guiding our clients toward what's next in the digital landscape.
The UI Designer works with client stakeholders and internal team members to design user-centric and aesthetically pleasing digital experiences that meet the needs of the clients’ business. By successfully utilizing and embracing modular design methodologies, UI Designers are able to champion exceptional experiences for users, while also providing efficient and seamless developer hand-offs.
UI Designers perform the primary tasks on a digital design engagement and spearhead design QA and documentation after the design phase has ended. They understand the importance and value of modular design and what success looks like employing this concept. UI Designers further champion this approach through adoption and understanding of design systems, both in the value they provide as well as how to create them. They embrace user-centric design and thus demonstrate empathy in their work through a focus on usability, and accessibility, and overall quality of experience for end-users. In general, UI design work includes (but is not limited to): designing comps assembled from a component-based approach, establishing consistent and contiguous UI elements that take into account responsive behavior, and documenting usage guidelines and rules for all components.
As UI design is one part of a larger digital experience, it is imperative that the UI Designer works well with all team members. In addition to being a team player, it’s also important that the UI Designer has the ability to speak to their designs and provide a rationale as to why particular design decisions were made – both internally and directly to clients. Lastly, all designers must have the ability to prioritize and self-project manage. There will be times where multiple projects and deadlines are occurring simultaneously and thus it is crucial that projects and tasks are prioritized appropriately.
This role will report to the VP of Creative, Vincent Tardy
- Can lead mid-level design engagements with limited oversight.
- Work within an existing visual language to grow the system in a contiguous and consistent manner.
- Design user-interface comps for various breakpoints.
- Create and document modular components and global design elements.
- Embrace good Figma hygiene such as layer naming, artboard arranging and symbol organizing.
- Design with front-end frameworks in mind for increased efficiency in the development stage.
- Understand key limitations of design within the confines of front-end development while still striving to move the needle through innovation.
- Collaborate with other teams including UX, content, creative, product, and development to ideate on solutions to complex UI/UX problems.
- Seeks to receive and give feedback in reviews with stakeholders and peers by using empathy along with deep listening skills.
- Take a part in developing and refining team processes and workflow efficiencies.
- Document processes and techniques for re-use on other projects or improve existing documentation.
- Champion client adoption of design systems where applicable.
- Embrace thought leadership through speaking engagements, writing blogs, and other activities.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with project teams, non-delivery departments (Marketing, Sales), and clients.
- Perform design QA, working in tools such as Jira and Pattern Lab.
- Work within project parameters and priorities as defined by project leadership on all projects.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of industry experience at a UI Designer level with progressive increases in responsibilities
- Knowledge of design elements, key principles of design, and established UI and visual design best practices.
- Ability to continually learn and stay up-to-date on emerging web technologies.
- Ability to communicate succinctly and with elegance when presenting and defending design work.
- In-depth understanding of typography, color theory, layout, and interaction design.
- An excellent portfolio exhibiting good taste and a breadth of interactive visual design skills and experience that spans a multitude of web properties.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Figma, and ability to adapt to new design tools.
- Knowledge of development languages, frameworks and other various tools in the technology space.
- Ability to create clickable prototypes using standard tools.
- A BA/BS or higher degree in Graphic Design, Interaction/Digital Design, or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and be willing to transfer skills to other team members.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills with team members and clients.
- Ability to manage time across a variety of tasks and projects.
- Drive to continually self-educate and improve
- Experience with Agile development methodologies such as SCRUM or Kanban.
- Experience creating icon libraries.
- Experience in motion design and/or animation.
- Experience in front-end development.
- Portfolio of work
- 4+ years of UI design strategy or design systems experience.
- Must live in the United States and be legally authorized to work in the United States without employment sponsorship or future need for employment sponsorship.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and a superior critical thinker
- Experience working across organizational boundaries to define, manage and prioritize work, with a collaborative and innovative approach
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Excellent communication, presentation, and storytelling skills
- Experience with and/or desire to work with and manage distributed clients and/or project teams
- Ability to lead key client deliverables and work independently
- Frequently remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Occasional adjusting or moving of light objects up to 20 pounds in all directions.
- Continuous communication on live video chats, calls, and through emails and messaging platforms for the purpose of exchanging information.
- Continuous repetitive movements that may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Travel (approx. 15% - 25%) when required (travel not required during the pandemic)
- Comprehension- Must continuously be able to understand direction and adhere to established procedures. Must also be able to gather information from clients and employees and synthesize this information in a meaningful way. May also be responsible for making improvements or recommendations to existing procedures.
- Organization- Must continuously be able to gather and classify information, store information learned from conversations and communications, and then be and be able to quickly recall, interpret, and explain information.
- Reasoning and Decision Making- Must continuously use logic to analyze and interpret information, and prioritize.
- Communication- Must continuously express or exchange ideas and meaning with employees and clients.
- Resilience- Must continuously adapt well in the face of workplace stressors.
More About Phase2
Phase2 has an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As a remote-first company, we are able to compete for the best talent, no matter where they live. Our salary structure is commensurate with accomplishment. We offer a full benefits package including 401K with an automatic company contribution. We have more than 140 employees in our Arlington, Virginia, New York, New York, Portland, Oregon, and “everywhere” offices.
We are dedicated to creating an environment of openness and engagement. Each member of our workforce can bring the fullest expression of themselves to work every day in order to best serve one another and our clients. We commit to keeping our workplace free from discrimination based upon race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. Phase2 is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and participates in E-Verify.
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.