At Perlego, we’re working hard to make education accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 4 years our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality books. The next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A Product Designer with experience in designing beautifully crafted interfaces and world-class product experiences. As part of our design team, you'd be working on every stage of the design process, from research to delivery. You'd also be joining one of our cross-functional development squads as their product owner, prioritising initiatives and streamlining execution.
How we work together
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common product goal. Each squad generally consists of 7 team members - a Technical Lead, 3 Engineers, a QA Engineer, a DevOps Engineer, and you.
What you’ll do
Shape solutions: develop a deep understanding of our users’ goals, workflows, pain points and work with product managers and developers to identify and shape key initiatives that meet the quarter's objectives.
Design best-in-class experiences: take on responsibility for the design process, from research to prototyping and creating delightfully simple experiences for our users.
Definition requirements: write user stories and ensure that the work to come is ready to be taken into development.
Support the development squad: work collaboratively with our engineering team to deliver your solutions. Oversee the development stages and evaluate progress, providing design reviews and guidance and defining if a product/feature meets requirements and is ready for release.
Manage the backlog: manage and maintain a healthy backlog of work for the squad. You'll collaborate with product managers to prioritise and identify risks and dependencies, working with appropriate people to address them.
Act as liaison: encourage co-operation and exchange of information between the squad and the wider product team and company. Work with external team members to gain insights, buy-in and to provide clear instructions and deliverables for the developers.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- An insatiable passion for digital design and the latest trends.
- Strong visual skills, creative thinking and design background. Detail-oriented, always striving for quality and consistency.
- Strong portfolio (with product design experience)
- 3+ years of work experience designing digital products for web and mobile platforms.
- Proficiency with UI design tools, such as Figma, Sketch or XD.
- Proficiency with prototyping tools, such as Figma, InVision or Framer X.
- Ability to own a design process from start to finish from workshops, user testing and UX research to creating first class final designs and handovers to development teams.
- Passion about building and delivering products that solve real user needs, working closely with a team of engineers to make this happen.
- Interest in analysing data to make informed design decisions and to test your theories.
- Experience with working in a cross-functional domain, collaborating with people from multiple disciplines and backgrounds
- Experience working in an ambiguous domain - you don't always have all the answers you find feasible ways to validate your ideas with a results-oriented and experimental approach.
- Great communication skills - you can communicate hypothesis, findings and ideas to stakeholders at all levels, in different shapes depending on the context.
- Good leadership, people management and relationship building skills.
- Energy, passion and a sleeves-rolled-up mentality: think quick, act fast and measure later.
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- Advanced experience with user research and testing
- Experience working with research and data to drive decision making
- Experience with Agile and/or Scrum
- Experience in a startup environment and/or MA (or equivalent) in Business / Entrepreneurship
- Have a general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our 4.7 Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
We offer flexibility in where you work, choose between the office or remote* (currently working through what this looks like post Covid-19 but we're keen to continue offering this)
🌱 Personal development
We value continuous learning, you will get £500 per year to spend on training of your choice
🧳 Work-life balance
Everyone needs a break, so enjoy 30 days off (incl. bank holidays) + 1 week over Christmas (or religious holidays of your choice).
We offer a competitive salary - £52,000 - £63,000 for this role
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
We're committed to building a sustainable business, so we encourage cycling to work. Perlego will buy your bike of choice, which you'll pay back over 12-18 months.
🧘🏽♀️Health & wellbeing
We want everyone to feel healthy and happy, so you get the choice of a wellbeing subsidy or health insurance. You will also get access to a counselling support service via Spill.
We're a tight-knit bunch who enjoy our time to play. We have regular social events and activities for everyone - everything from white water rafting to board game nights.
🍼 Family time
We believe family is really important; we offer new parents a competitive parental leave.
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.