In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from across Africa — and more recently the Philippines and Lebanon— to send money abroad fast, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
As a UX/UI Designer on our growing Product and Design team, you’ll be responsible for the end-to-end design of our mobile apps and the user experience surrounding them. Day-to-day you’ll work with a cross-functional group of product managers, engineers, marketers and other designers to research new opportunities, deeply understand user pain points, and turn your insights and empathy into intuitive designs with such goals as: improving conversion rates, better supporting a specific user persona in a new market, making it faster and easier for an existing user to manage their transactions etc...
Your main responsibilities will be
- Understand our users’ needs and address them through the thoughtful design of end-to-end flows and experiences, within our iOS and Android apps, staying true to our mission, product vision and company values
- Collaborate with product managers, other designers, and engineers from discovery to delivery; producing, testing and getting feedback on sketches, mockups, and prototypes, building out our information architecture and evolving our design strategy
- Understand and appropriately apply iOS, Android, material or other design principles and patterns to ensure our apps are fast, intuitive and easy to use
- Plan and execute on user research to test and validate new design concepts or uncover pain points with existing designs and generally hone your (and your teams) understanding of and empathy for our users
- Maintain and evolve our design system and standards, our user personas, and together with our brand team our overall brand and design guidelines to ensure a consistent user experience
What we’re looking for:
- You’ve practiced both visual and interaction design across the full life-cycle of core features of a mobile product in the past and you probably have 4+ of professional ui/ux design experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You have a deep ability to understand and empathize with users: their goals, motivations and pain points and know what it takes to design and implement a cohesive information architecture across multiple overlapping use cases
- You know how to develop, iterate on, and communicate your designs and are fluent in tools such as Figma.
- You have strong user research skills and can apply what you hear and learn to improve upon existing designs or to generate new ones.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel 4 weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company.
You might be a good fit if you
- Start your thinking from the perspective of a user and you obsess about getting the product design details right, but you are also pragmatic and you know that ultimately your team needs to ship.
- You measure success by the success of the product, not the amount of output of your design work.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have experience in fintech
- Speak French
- Location: We are able to employ people based in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Netherland, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Kenya and Senegal. We will, however, consider full-time contractors in countries not listed.
- This is a permanent position
- Compensation: Worldwide: $91,000 / $112,000 | US: $114,000 / $140,000
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
Please mention that you come from WorkForThem
when applying for this job.